Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Man Doth Protest Too Much (Methinks)

On his website, Nick Waters sets out to explore the "chick flick" genre in order to better "understand the opposite sex."

Two things occurred to me as I scanned his site.

First, why did he categorize Couples Retreat and Atonement as chick flicks? Instead of just fielding random suggestions from friends and family, he really should have established some sort of clear definition.

Second, while I probably don't understand women, I do get men. I think Waters is just trying to get laid.

From 30 Chick Flicks in 30 Days:

How far would you go to understand the opposite sex?

That question has helped to fuel the idea behind this site, “30 Chick Flicks in 30 Days: One Guy’s Exploration of Romance Through Movies Loved by Women”.

First, you should know that I’m that “guy” exploring these films. Second, my name is Nick. I’m a husband, and have been for seven years. Third, no one put me up to this.
And fourth, I’m not some professional film critic. I live in a small town in southern Oklahoma. I work in communications.

This little experiment will begin Friday, Jan. 15, 2010, and conclude on Saturday, Feb. 13, 2010—the day before Valentine’s Day. That’s 30-straight days; 30-straight chick flicks.

No comments: