Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Naked Ambition

Reading the results for the New Yorker "Cartoon Caption Contest" # 143 was deflating.



Admittedly, my submission was a reworking of the punchline to a famous joke:

"I've been bringing it to work ever since the wife found it in my briefcase"
But the three "winners" are PATHETIC:
  • "I couldn't find a real naked woman to ride with me in the H.O.V. lane." - why would one NEED "a real naked woman" to ride with them in the H.O.V lane?

  • "Hey, you teach C.P.R. your way, and I'll teach it mine." - mediocre AT BEST


  • "She's my Seeing Eye doll." - that doesn't even make sense! And why is "Seeing Eye doll" capitalized?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this was one that I was sure was a winner: "There was a time when I couldn't manage both this job and a relationship." I also submitted a backup that was close to one of the final selections: "It started as a scam for the carpool lane, but grew into something more." But nada. Jack squat. Apparently not sucky enough.

Matt Maul said...

The humor in ALL of the "winners" was quite forced.

Mine, admittedly a punchline to a famous joke, was better than all of them.

Your first one (about managing a relationship) is the best.