Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Moscow? Are You Sure?



Here's the first entry in my new "Screenshot of the Week" feature (hopefully I'll keep it going).

It's an unintentionally funny shot from my SECOND favorite accidental nuclear accident movie, 1964's "Fail-Safe." It's good (very good) for 1964. But, it certainly hasn't aged anywhere near as well as "Dr. Strangelove" (also 1964) which feels like it could have been made yesterday. And as last lines go, "Mein Führer! I can walk" after the doomsday device goes off is a million times better than the pilot in "Fail-Safe" ranting "I'm the matador!" as he bombs New York.

The shot above is from the scene in "Fail-Safe" where the pilot opens his bombing instructions after accidentally getting the "go" order. In typical Hollywood fashion, instead of charts, maps or other particulars, we simply see an envelope with "MOSCOW" printed on it.

I submit that Copperplate Gothic Black would have been a much more frightening font.

No comments: