Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Happy May Day

I had to chuckle at this Mercury News (link) article on Coachella (link), an annual music festival held in Indio, California last weekend.

The description of Rage Against the Machine's performance brought a special May Day tear to my eye:

Stomping, shouting into his microphone, grabbing his curly hair and inciting the audience to "keep fighting," de la Rocha powered through songs ranging from the bass heavy "Bulls on Parade" to the anthem "Killing in the Name."

He also railed against the war in Iraq and likened Bush administration officials to Nazi war criminals.

"This current administration is no exception. They should be tried and hung and shot," he said. Drummer Brad Wilk, bassist Tim Commerford and guitarist Tom Morello, who wore a hat with the word "UNITY" on it, completed the lineup.

"They changed my life. They made me a liberal," said sweat-drenched history teacher Rafael Ramon, 25, who had waited in a crowd packed shoulder-to-shoulder in front of the stage all day.

How nice, this "sweat-drenched" Ramon guy is a history teacher. BTW, where can I get me a "UNITY" hat?

No comments: