Tuesday, December 04, 2007

They Just Don't Get It

My outrage over the shoddy judging at the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest continues.

This cartoon CLEARLY depicts an assembly line that produces gag eyeglasses and a worker on that line who LOOKS like the product he's making.

He is NOT trying them on. He's holding ONE pair of the gag glasses AND there's only ONE empty spot on the assembly line.



With that in mind, my entry was:
"Hey Ted, why don't you switch places with 'lefty' over at the joy buzzers line."

While I admit it wasn't side splitting, my punchline DID actually relate to what was in the cartoon -- the fact that the line worker LOOKS like someone wearing joke glasses and a fake nose.

Instead, the winning entrees are all based on the mistaken premise that the worker was wearing the goofy item.


  • "This part of the job is easy—it's the whoopee-cushion testing that annoys me."

  • "Yeah, that one's funny, too. Next."

  • "I'm just glad we don't make lingerie."

No comments: