Monday, July 21, 2008

Global Lukewarming

The New Yorker's "Cartoon Caption Contest" #152 was an exercise in mediocrity (myself included).



My entry was fair. As good as the first winner, but certainly better than the other two.
"I think I just figured out whats wrong with my GPS unit. "
And, the winners:

"Why do I always get stuck behind the slow planets?" - the best of the bunch, BUT it doesn't address why there's an antenna on the car (as mine does)

"Oh, great, we're stuck behind a four-and-a-half-billion-year-old." - basically a rehash of the first one (the judges must be in love with it)

"Honey, I told you the whole world is headed to the Cape this weekend." - Sucks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I submitted, "Yeah, well, Magellan didn't have three screaming kids in the back." Or alternatively, "Atlas, I think this is your stop." Unfortunately, both took some knowledge of history to be funny.

Matt Maul said...

The Atlas punchline is quite good.

Steve_o, we're indeed kindred spirits in our quixotic attempts to win over mediocrities that judge these things.