Friday, July 04, 2008

He Has Risen (Again?)

The teaser trailer for The Day the Earth Stood Still, a remake of 1951 classic sci-fi flick, is out. It's scheduled release date is December twelve.

Most of the Internet buzz I've seen has been negative. People get so upset when great movies are redone. But I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. I know it's blasphemy to say this, but the original is starting to show it's age.

The new version stars Keanu Reeves as Klaatu (Michacl Rennie in original) and Jennifer Connaly as Helen (Patricia Neal in original). John Cleese plays the Sam Jaffe role of Dr. Barnhardt. Mad Men's John Hamm can be seen in the trailer and is credited as "Dr. Granier". But I can't tell if he's playing the Hugh Marlowe role of Helen's boyfriend (and Judas to Klaatu), Tom Stevens.

You only get a quick glimpse of what looks like Gort in the trailer, so it's not clear how much screen time he'll get.

It'll be interesting to see if in this version Klaatu once again dies and is resurrected for the sake of mankind.

I'm only guessing, but since Keanu Reeves has already done that as cyber-Jesus in The Matrix, I suspect that the remake may be more faithful to the original short story, "Farewell to the Master," which has a different ending.

But what do I know?


No comments: