Monday, July 20, 2009

The Space Procedural

My pals at The House Next Door once again allow me to vent my overactive spleen. This time I list some of my favorite space flicks on the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Actor and avid sailor Sterling Hayden once said that no film has ever really captured the true essence of sea travel. On the fortieth anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, it occurs to me that the same thing could be said about cinematic depictions of space travel. For the most part, movies set in space use it as a backdrop for stories about aliens or Earth threatening phenomenons (or Earth threatening aliens). Even if you discount schlock flicks about hot women on Venus or the Star Wars/Star Trek genre, it’s hard to find a space movie that focuses on the mechanics of the journey itself.

Full post at The House Next Door.

No comments: