Monday, August 23, 2010

Puzzles (Mad Men 405)



The opening shot of "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword" shows Miss Blankenship doing a New York Times crossword puzzle (in pen, no less). I painstakingly listed the words in the squares she had filled in thinking they may somehow relate to the storyline.
  • leaks
  • bores
  • plans
  • cars
  • dogs
  • glee
  • burt
  • utah (I think)
  • tired

Given time, I suppose I could somehow tie most of them to the narrative. For instance, Don comes up with a "plan" to stage "leaks" which, to their "glee," results in SCDP winning a promise from Honda to promote their "cars."

However, I think the crossword puzzle is better viewed as a symbolic template upon which much of the action takes place. Like doing a puzzle, the characters in "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword" find themselves forced to use incomplete (and often confusing) information to map out their next move.

...Full Post at Basket of Kisses

No comments: