Wednesday, June 03, 2009

"C" Minus

Last weekend, people with Lycos email accounts, such as myself, couldn't log in.

I was barred from my queue by a message instructing me to "upgrade" from a free email account to one that costs $20 a year. Since I had received absolutely NO prior warning, I was understandably upset. My address book and past correspondence was hopelessly trapped inside of a Lycos profile that I wasn't sure was worth a double sawbuck to rescue.

It turned out to be some sort of bug with the Lycos servers. On Monday, I got an email from Lycos CEO Jungwook Lim apologizing for the problem. However, I'm a little leery about the, and I quote, "exiting new features to be announced very soon." Well, you get what you pay for.

Dear Lycos Mail user,

Lycos Mail experienced an outage the evening of May 31 and the morning of June 1 which caused your Lycos Mail free account to appear to require an upgrade in order to log in. This message was in error and access to your Lycos Mail free account has been restored as of June 1.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this incorrect message may have caused. We hope that you will continue to use Lycos Mail and we have some exiting new features to be announced very soon.

Thank you for being a loyal customer of Lycos.

Best Regards,
Jungwook Lim
CEO - Lycos, Inc.

No comments: