Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Odd Man Out: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

[A Note From Maul “Secunde:” Most of what follows was written before my “Prime” incarnation had viewed the new Star Trek film. The premise of this piece was to establish why Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock was my favorite of the original crew movies. Having seen the “reimagining,” I’m a little conflicted. While the latest Star Trek movie doesn’t necessarily capture the feel of the 1960’s series any better than the initial six, it's now running neck and neck with TSFS in my mind for the top spot (my review here). Of course, I’ve always been attracted to bright, shiny objects. In order to avoid confusion, consider this piece as though it were written in a timeline where Abrams’ Star Trek didn’t exist.]

It’s conventional wisdom in fan circles that of the six “original cast” Star Trek films the even numbered outings (2, 4, and 6) are the best. I can understand why Treks 1 and 5 are generally held in low esteem. But I am perhaps the ONLY person who actually found 1984's Star Trek III: The Search for Spock to be the most faithful (and therefore the most enjoyable) of the first half dozen excursions.

...Read More at The House Next Door.

[Posted as part of the "Summer of '84" -- a co-production of The House Next Door and the Blog Talk Radio shows Back by Midnight (hosted by the initiator of this project, Aaron Aradillas) and Movie Geeks United! ]

No comments: