Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Little Miss Sunshine

I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about surrounding "Little Miss Sunshine." While it's certain better that the typical Will Farrell movie, I'd only give it a 6 (out of 10).

LMC is "American Beauty" meets "Weekend at Bernie's" meets "Miss Congeniality" (I hated all three). The movie tries very hard to be "cute", "funny", "thought-provoking" and "heartwarming" with moderate success.

Frankly, all the angst, slapstick, and social satire don't quite mesh together very well for me. I'm tired of angry filmmakers on a mission to expose the dark, emptiness of suburban family existence (yaaaaaaawn).

It does have the "courage" to take on the children's beauty pageant industry as exploitative and downright weird. BUT, of course, anyone who's seen an episode of "Dateline", "Sixty Minutes", or "20/20" in the last 5 years knows this. So, that's not really all that groundbreaking.

Oh, it's an independent film -- which means they drop the "f" bomb a lot (because that's realism).

Usually, when I'm this lukewarm on a movie, it generally makes it a shoe-in for a "Best Picture" Oscar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked LMS. Two thumb way up.